POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Jupiter, Venus and Crescent Moon : Re: Jupiter, Venus and Crescent Moon Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:23:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Jupiter, Venus and Crescent Moon
From: scott
Date: 27 Nov 2008 09:52:04
Message: <492eb414@news.povray.org>
> The next few nights just around sunset or a bit later have a look to the
> southwest (northern hemisphere). You should notice Venus, Jupiter and the
> Moon. They look really spectacular. The cool clear evenings make for great
> photographic and telescopic viewing. The weather has made it hit or miss,
> but I'm ready! The batteries are charged and equipment has been checked
> and rechecked.

Yes, I must get out there with my telescope, but I must admit the thought of
dressing up for -5 degrees C has put me off each evening.  Last night was
spectacularly clear, and looking at the sun set now I think tonight will be
the same.

So far I have only had limited success with my camera and telescope, this
shot is the best I've got so far:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3276/2924137262_ee9a789965_o.jpg

I find that either with longer exposures the Earth has rotated too much, or
with shorter exposures the vibration from the camera shutter mechanism
causes too much of an impact on the final shot.  I need to construct some
sort of manual shutter for the front of the telescope that doesn't cause any
vibration.

Hopefully when Saturn comes back around I'll be prepared with my camera this
time, although just seeing it and its rings with your own eyes is awesome.